Saturday 1 November 2014

Day 96 - reflections on New York

New York, the big bad city, a city of crime, gangsters, violent thieves and violent cops. A city so scary that 25 years ago I was convinced I was going to die there, and even stuffed 4 dollars down my sock just so  I could get back out to New Jersey in the event of a horrific, violent attack. How disappointing then to find a friendly, well policed city, with helpful people and a sense of community. How sad to find the guns had been replaced by gardens, the gangs with gladioli and the grime with gastronomy. There was no threat, no thrill, no tension. I wasn't murdered, pick pocketed or robbed at gunpoint. I didn't see any police brutality, or witness any violent crime. It was like the big bad wolf had grown up a bit, become vegetarian and was now renting a room from one of the three little pigs; huffing and puffing and blowing your house down had been replaced by pipe and slippers and comfy dressing gown which is all very nice but doesn't make for a great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment