Wednesday 8 October 2014

Day 72 Buffalo Vings.

As has been previously noted my Czech is not as good as it shouldbe for someone who has been here for as long as I have, but that's the way it is and there's no changing it now. I do try, if I am in my comfort zone like a restaurant or a train ticket office then I will use Czech first and only fall back on English as a last resort. I can say já si dám smazeny syr prosim no problem at all. The issues arise when there is a word that is a loan word, a word that looks the same as it's English counterpart and means the same (so not a false friend) but is often pronounced differently. Take rum for example. It looks the same as the English on the menu but try saying it in an English accent and a Czech waiter will look at you like you've just spoken Chinese to them.
Last night I decided to order Buffalo wings, i
t was written on the menu in English. So I said já si dám Buffalo wings prosim. The waitress looked at me blankly, so I rephrased. I said Booffalo vings and felt like a right muppet. But that subtle change was all it took to get the desired nod from the waitress. 






No comments:

Post a Comment