Monday 25 August 2014

Day 28 -Tram Etiquette


You’d think there would be a common, understood etiquette for public transport. You know - let people off before you get on, if you are waiting to get on, don’t stand slap bang in front of the doorway, if you are standing up and someone needs to get off, you try to move out of the way and if someone with a walking stick gets on you give up your seat if none is available. Simple really, not even rules, just common courtesy, politeness, common sense. So my grumpiness today is aimed at the man on the tram this morning who made no effort to get out of my way when I was trying to manoeuvre myself and my suitcase off the tram at I.P. Pavlova. Now this man was as tall as he was wide so getting round him was not the simplest of tasks but there was no budging him. Maybe he was upset because I didn’t say excuse me please (s dovolenim prosim in Czech) but normally you don’t have, just a kindly look in the direction of the person in your way and they move. But my giant friend today was having none of it. Maybe he was upset because I hadn’t stood up for him but he was only about two years older than me and as far as I know you don’t stand up for people just because their buttons are struggling to keep their stomach in. Maybe he thought that by not moving he would be first in line to get my seat but mister the only way to get a seat on a crowded tram is to allow people to get off. Or maybe he was upset at the temerity of me having a suitcase on the tram. I often get frowned at for carrying luggage on trams, as if some how being able to afford luggage disqualifies you from using public transport. Whatever it was that upset you my friend, all I can say is I am sorry and next time shift your ass.

2 comments: