Saturday 2 August 2014

Day 5 - Between my ears

So the thing that is making me grumpy today is the thing between my ears. Don’t say nothing because that’s not nice. I mean my brain and the vagaries of it. So today I decided to pop out for a spot of lunch, meet a friend for coffee and then maybe sit and edit my book in a park or coffee shop or somewhere and generally enjoy the day. It must have been three quarters of the way to the the place I had decided on for lunch that I first started wondering about whether or not I had unplugged the iron. I remembered plugging it in, I remembered ironing my shirt, but then there was a blank, did I unplug it, or was it sitting there overheating? I tried to remember my movements but there was blank. To unplug the iron takes a bit of effort, you have to bend down to the floor and pull the plug from the extension, which for my creaking body takes some doing, surely I’d remember it. But no, nothing. Now I know I’ve written about this at the other place so I won’t bore you with the worry that went on inside my head, but suffice to say I couldn’t really relax and enjoy the day as planned. So once the coffee was over I decided I had to go home and check. I didn’t run, or take a taxi or anything, I wasn’t that worried, but i was half-expecting to see smoke billowing out of my windows or flames leaping from my building as firefighters fought the blaze I’d been responsible for and angry neighbours milled around forming a lynch mob, waiting for my arrival. But there were no flames, was no smoke and no lynch mob had been formed. My flat was calm and the iron was unplugged and seeing as I live alone it must have been done by me. So why did my brain forget that vital action, why did it let me worry and stop me from relaxing. Damn you brain, you’re a traitor.

If you enjoyed this you might enjoy my short story blog, updated with a new story every weekday. Find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment