Sunday 31 August 2014

Day 34 - Rain


I used to say that the difference between Czech Republic and Wales was the rain. In Wales it rains all day, all week, all fortnight, when the rain sets in it's in. It’s like a distant family member who has cone to stay - it invades your life, hogs the remote control, eats all your food; there is no budging it.
Czech rain on the other hand was more violent, sudden downpours that cleared as quickly as they came. It was like a visit from the Jehovah Witnesses - always annoying, usually inconvenient, sometimes staying around too long and messing up your hair but usually easy enough to get rid of, eventually.
But these days the Czech rain has taken on a Welsh accent, and started humming Calon Lan to itself. The clouds are lower, the rain finer and more persistent, it’s not quite in for a fortnight but it certainly gets under your skin.  

Today I was going to go on a bike ride but the rain put pay to that, there’s nothing worse for me than a wet bike ride with water splashing off the tire up your back no thank you. Then I was meant to go to watch the first game of the Czech Rugby season. I still did that but it left me damp to the core, with the holidaying Welsh rain running down my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment