Wednesday 13 August 2014

Day 16 - Part time insomnia.

I wouldn't say I was an insomniac, not really but i do have difficulty sleeping. I guess a true insomniac always struggles to sleep. They probably even dread going to bed knowing that however tired they are, as soon as their head hits the pillow, sleep will seem like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - always just out of reach. Then they will chase it all night like a toddler trying to pick up a football; getting so close before kicking it away at the last second with their own feet .
I'm not that bad. Insomniacs would most probably call me a slacker a part timer, a wannabee. I go through phases of insomnia,  a bit like someone following a diet, I am committed at first but then maybe I'll just have a finger of cake and then before long I am stuffing the whole sleep cake in to my mouth like there is no tomorrow.

I am on a strict, no sleep diet at the moment, and the worst thing about not being able to sleep is the waking up.
 There's always a point for me around an hour before my alarm is due when I seriously consider cutting my losses and getting up. I patter to the toilet, have a glass of water and then think okay, I'll give it one last go. It's then that the blessed relief of sleep washes over me. Cocooned in the duvet like a caterpillar, my body succumbs to the beauty of sleep. Vivid, psychedelic dreams dance through my brain; the pot of gold has been found. But just as I bend down to pick it up, it vanishes in a cacophony of noise as the alarm wails and I am cruelly ripped from my hard won slumber. Nobody likes being woken up, but it’s even worse when you've only just fallen asleep.


If you enjoyed this you might enjoy my short story blog, updated with a new story every weekday. Find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment