Monday 11 August 2014

Day 14 Was it better back then?

Today this made me grumpy.



I will come to the content later but firstly let’s consider the line at the bottom, ‘hit SHARE if you agree.’ Well, what’s there not to agree about? It is a statement of fact of course I agree. But they don’t mean agree do they, that is misleading, what they mean is hit like if you agree and think this is a bad thing, which is a completely different kettle of fish altogether.
Before we consider that kettle of fish let’s just pause to contemplate the irony of using Facebook to share such a message.

Okay enough contemplation, so do I disapprove of the statement? Well, no I don’t. It’s a horribly, smug, reactionary statement that suggests life was better back then. Was it? The kids I can see now from my balcony, playing on their scooters and kicking a football seem happy enough. My nephews seem happy enough playing catch in the garden, splashing in a paddling pool, doing Lego or drawing pictures. But they have the added bonus of having iPads and computer games and other things to inspire them and stimulate them. They are going to inhabit a far different world that we do and I presume the iPads are good training for it. Life changes, it always does, okay we might not play with hula-hoops and pogo sticks anymore, but I doubt that reduces these kids quality of life one iota.
So I am going to rewrite that meme and you can hit ‘like' if you approve.

‘8 years these days have people complaining about their use of tablets, phones and Facebook. When I was their age I had people complaining about how much TV we watched.’  


If you enjoyed this you might enjoy my short story blog, updated with a new story every weekday. Find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment