Thursday 14 August 2014

Day 17 - You can’t have it both ways.

This tweet made me grumpy today and it’s not even ten o’clock yet.



What a headline. It’s very clever in a way because it does tell the whole story while also failing to tell hardly any of the story at all. It’s specifically designed to get the UKIP supporting, “health and safety gone mad” brigade up in arms. I can just imagine them now grumbling into their British cornflakes while drinking their British tea and wearing their British slippers.
‘I can’t believe it Elsa, what is the world coming to, we’re not even allowed to feed the birds anymore. It’s a scandal. Those UKIP people would let us feed the birds, I bet that nice Nigel Farage has no problem with throwing some bread out for the harmless little creatures. It’s another example of petty bureaucracy gone mad.’

Yet look at this headline from the same newspaper under two months ago.

I can just imagine how the UKIP supporters were grumbling into their British cornflakes while drinking their British tea and wearing their British slippers back then.

‘It’s shocking Elsa, what is the world coming to, what do we pay our council tax for. Why don’t those lazy good for nothing councillors do anything? You know what causes this? It’s people littering, if you fined the litter droppers you’d solve the problem. I bet that nice Nigel Farage would sort out these gulls in a jiffy.’

I’m sorry, but you can’t have it both ways. I really wish this headline and article was praising the council for doing its job. 

Oh and by the way, I was complaining about seagulls a year ago. 

The two articles can be found here and here




No comments:

Post a Comment