Friday 29 August 2014

Day 32 Ageism

Look at what I just found on Facebook –
Do you know someone who would love to lead the Cardiff Blues out on to the field for the first competitive home match of the 2014/15 season?
Yes I thought, yes I know someone, me. I’d love to lead the Blues out. I love the Blues, they have been a constant in my life, with me through thick and thin. They’ve outlasted any girlfriend, even the ones that wanted me to stop seeing them, they’ve not minded my infidelity when I have gone to see Wasps, Swansea or Praga, not minded when I’d deserted them for entire summers to watch cricket. And now I could repay their faith by proudly leading out my favourite rugby team.
 I read on eagerly.
Here is your chance to get them involved on the big day!
Wow, my chance, the chance I’d been waiting for all my life. It was a dream about to come true.  All I had to do was fill in the application form and send it off and I would be in with a shot. But then I fell down to earth with a bump of such force that I bounced a few times along the tarmac before coming to rest in the hedgerow of disappointment, the ditch of broken dreams. You see in my haste to act, in my excitement, I had missed one important line in the advert.
We are looking for a young Cardiff Blues supporter, aged between 5 and 12, who has always dreamed of being our match day mascot.’ Why? Why? Why? Why? it’s so unfair? Back in my day there were no mascots and now there are, they slap an age limit on them, it’s age discrimination.

Now recently my doctor questioned the year on my medical records, I thought he was going to say I looked younger, born in 1975 perhaps, but no, he thought I must have been born in 1965. So I am a 43-year-old man who can get away with being 48 but I doubt I’d convince them I had just turned 12. 
Anyway I guess all this means I should write to them again and withdraw my application.

No comments:

Post a Comment