Sunday 17 August 2014

Day 20 - Living on a Hill


I live half way up a hill, almost exactly half way.  My flat isn't at the bottom and it isn't at the top. Now I have lived on an incline most of my life, so I am used to seeing things from a slightly different angle -  Miskin Street was a devil of a hill and I spent  most of my first 20 years there so it’s no wonder all sorts of funny thoughts run round my head. So if I've coped with hill dwelling for so many years, why has it got my goat today? Well. today I went on only my second bike ride since I moved into this halfway house. As I sat on my bike wondering where to go, I had the realisation that at some stage on my journey I was going to have to climb the hill. Now I am no Bradley Wiggins and certainly no 'king of the hills', my idea of a bike ride is a gentle pootle along flat bike paths, not lung busting climbs halfway up my hill. The Netherlands would be my perfect bile riding country. (Do they ride bikes there?)  Apart from the extra effort involved, living not really anywhere also means making a decision. I hate making decisions, because if I make the wrong one, I only have myself to blame. So I sat there thinking left, down first climb later? Or right, climb first down later? The stress of the decision making and the knowledge of the hard work involved took all the fun out of the bike ride and made me wish I lived somewhere else instead.
With thanks to AA Milne - 
http://allpoetry.com/Halfway-Down


No comments:

Post a Comment