Sunday 10 August 2014

Day 13: Between my ears again


I'm writing this at nearly two o'clock in the morning, but it's not mosquitoes keeping me awake tonight; it's my brain. Sometimes I love my brain, I love the way ideas cascade through it, one thought leading to another to another like a giant domino rally*. It's a brain that comes up with unromantic lyrics and stories about doppelgängers; just one glimpse of a person who looked vaguely like an ex-boss led to a chain of thoughts that led to a story. But the problem with my brain is that sometimes there is no off switch, no hibernate, no sleep mode. And then it overheats, the thoughts get jumbled and confused, they're random, unconnected and thus useless, It’s as if the dominoes are placed too far apart, or are stubbornly refusing to fall. So I am left trying to catch the pretty thoughts in a net like butterflies while avoiding the wasps and flies, while all the time wishing I could find the restart button and drift off to sleep. 

If you enjoyed this, you might love my novel Maggie’s Milkman, all the details are here.

*I am not sure if these are called domino rallies or something else




1 comment: