Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 8 M and S Mannequins


Advert: 
This Retro Grumpy is brought to you by the author of Maggie's Milkman and Extraordinary Rendition. 


I am seriously concerned about the mannequins in Marks and Spencers, (yes we are in M and S again for my grumpy point, get over it.) The mannequins seem to be losing weight at an alarming rate. I'm sure they all used to be size 10 or something but now they are certainly size 0. Now as you probably know I like my women in all shapes and sizes and I don’t mind a slim woman, but there is slim and there is slim, and these dummies don't look well, not well at all. If you saw one walking down the street, you would want to buy it a meal. Maybe Marksies are not paying them enough for them to afford to eat properly or maybe, and I hope this isn't true, maybe they have an eating disorder. You know how it goes, one starts to lose weight and then the others get competitive and follow suit until they are all refusing food or binge eating and then vomiting. You might think I am being glib but actually there is a serious point here; why do clothes shops use such skinny show room dummies? Don’t get me wrong I am not having a go at slim women but these mannequins are not a natural shape for a woman. So when women try on the same dress they will think it doesn't look as good as on the dummy and possibly have real self esteem issues maybe leading to real eating disorders. I wished Marks and Spencers were like me and liked their women in all shapes and sizes.


Did you enjoy this retro grumpy? If you did, then please consider buying one or both of my novels. Details available here.

If you enjoyed this you might enjoy my short story blog, updated with a new story every weekday. Find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment