Sunday 7 September 2014

Day 41 Fish and Chips


As some of you will know my doctor advised me that it would be a good idea to watch my cholesterol level as my test results were a little high. Now this to me is the worst news anyone can give me. We all have weaknesses, for some its chocolate, others, alcohol, or nicotine or the like. For me it’s traditional British food; three things specifically bacon, sausage and fish and chips. All of course are loaded with saturated fat thus high in cholesterol and thus certainly on my banned list. It’s actually a wonder that my cholesterol level was only marginally too high seeing at I am so fond of these foods and Marks and Spencer have started doing sausage and bacon and two ‘British Fish and Chip shops’ have opened in Prague. Anyway this diktat came down from my doctor in June and I’ve spent the last few months being careful, cutting down on fats, doing a bit of exercise and making myself attractive to elderly women and generally feeling good about myself.
But today…today I went to Ryby a Chips one of those fish and chip shops I just mentioned. Just a treat, just a one off I thought to myself. Just a one off, hah! The tears are falling on to my keyboard as I type. The wonderfully tender fish, the thick, fluffy chips, the mushy peas, it was heaven on earth. The perfect lunch. When you give something up it is better to go cold turkey, don’t go back to it, leave it behind forever. But I was stupid, I was weak, I went back. I reopened Pandora’s Box and now…  well lunch was at 12, it is now 7 and I am already craving fish and chips for my dinner, wondering if I can have fish and chips for breakfast tomorrow.

So back to square one. Back to cold turkey and this time I won’t go back. (aside - yes I will.)


1 comment: