Monday 22 September 2014

Day 56 - Train no ticket

Dear Train Conductor,
Firstly I would like to say how lovely you looked in your uniform, it suited you just fine and made you look like a handsome specimen of a man that, just for a few seconds, had me questioning my heterosexuality. You didn’t turn me but whatever sexual persuasion you are I am sure you have admirers queuing up around the block.
I am writing to you to apologise for having the temerity to get on your train without a ticket today. You see I had a meeting until 12.30 which finished a little late so by the time I got the station for the 12.46 train I was left with a stark choice, get on the train without the proper ticket, or wait another 75 minutes for the next train.
Now I know in its former glory Klatovy train station with its grandiose ticket hall was a hive of activity but in its present desolate incarnation is not a place one would like to spend 75 cold, wet, long minutes. Yes there is a cafĂ© there but the smell of cigarettes and sweat that invaded my nostrils as I just walked passed meant that it wasn’t that appealing. So I took a gamble and it was obviously the wrong one and for that I am truly sorry.
May I suggest however that  it is time to get some anger management therapy. I am not quite sure what has upset you, maybe you dreamt of being on the fast train by now or the international trains, maybe you’ve been over looked for promotion again, maybe your wife left you for the driver of the 15.55 from Plzen. Whatever it is, I think the swearing, door-slamming reaction to my request for a ticket might have been just a little out of proportion.
Anyway I promise I will never get on your train again without a ticket because I do understand using a ticket machine must be very stressful for someone whose main job purpose is to sell and check tickets and I look forward to seeing you in that sparkling uniform again very soon.
Yours sincerely

Gareth

2 comments: