Friday 12 September 2014

Day 46 - A letter to U2

Dear Bono and the Edge and the other 2 anonymous ones.
Firstly I’d like to thank you for the opportunity to listen to your latest album for free. I must admit I haven’t listened to it yet but there’s still time. If I adhere to this low cholesterol diet and avoid trucks travelling at speed, my doctor says I have at least another 36 years on this mortal coil so maybe during that time I will find the time to give it a listen. (Especially as apparently I can’t delete it from my iTunes.)
Anyway I am contacting you because the actions of one of your fans who is asking other fans to donate money to charity in lieu of payment for this album. All very worthy I am sure but I am wondering if you could ask her to stop as I feel it rather undermines the idea of a free gift. After all I don’t expect my mother to donate the cost of her Christmas present to charity immediately after the festivities. I presume you are the same U2 who are managed by Paul McGuinness, he of the 'take them down and keep them down’ tirade aimed at Google and music sharing sites. If so, we can assume that you obviously don’t like giving your music away for free (despite the benefits of more people paying huge amounts of money to see you play live) and so we can also assume you were handsomely remunerated by Apple for this album. So maybe you could donate to the charity instead of your hard working fans. And finally I am rather troubled by this line on the charity page ‘Donate the amount that you would have paid for Songs of Innocence.’ As you would have had to pay me to listen to the album, I am trying to find a way to claim the money from the charity, but there doesn’t seem to be a link for that. Can you help please or maybe send me the money yourselves.  

One final question for you - have you ever heard of the Coldplay Theory? I would like to think that you adhere to it, maybe even invented it and made it popular before those young upstarts from London lent it their name.

Anyway all the best for your future plans oh and I hope you’ve found what you’re looking for, it’s been 27 years now.


Gareth

Enjoyed this? Check out my novels and short stories or check out another U2 inspired grumpy day.

1 comment:

  1. It made me laugh :-) although I like some of their songs. Actually I could try to download the album ;-) Hope it won't make you grumpy :-)

    ReplyDelete