Saturday 20 September 2014

Day 54- Tired

There are days when tiredness simply washes over you like waves over a sandcastle. Your once proud structure crumbles as the surf of fatigue undermines your foundations. On days like these the smallest thing can make you grumpy, a small stain on your freshly ironed shirt, missing your mouth with the bottle of water or an insect buzzing around your head.

After a long, but rewarding week in Poland, I had to be up at 6 this morning to go to a conference in Liberec. Now that didn’t make me grumpy as I had a good talk prepared and was looking forward to seeing friends and colleagues. But when I got home at about 5 pm I was looking forward to my bed hoping a late siesta would act like King Canute and turn back the tide of exhaustion. Almost as soon as my head hit my pillow I was fast.. staring at the ceiling wide eyed in disbelief. Now I live opposite a church with bells that chime early on a Sunday morning polluting the square with noise that most others would not be allowed to get away with. But it was not bells that ruined my early evening nap but the noise of awful, childish music and singing, amplified far too loud. Imaging jangly, religious reggae played exclusively on a Casio keyboard and you have the type of thing I mean. Needless to say I am just a little grumpy.

1 comment: